Saturday 18 October 2008

Catching up

Life seems to get in the way at the moment with crafting, I can't see to find the right groove for anything. and yet, I keep seeing loads of inspiration out there on the Interweb.

But I have some pics of finds and a very special 'make'

I have made a couple of nice purchases from local charity/thrift shops. This one was a good haul for £3 - No. you don't need glasses, I was slightly out of focus - ooops!

I also topped up my needle collection. It is really frustrating to see a pattern that you want to start but don't have the right needles for the job. I already have a pretty good all round selection but I wanted to get the missing sizes. Well, I don't know if you are aware but here un the UK, charity/thrift shops aren't allowed to display knitting needles (dangerous weapons!) but a lot will have a box or collection in their sorting room if you ask. I did just that yesterday and spent a pleasant half hour rifling through a gazillion needles and came away with these for £5.


You will all have heard the phrase 'Reduce, re-use, recycle'. Well I did just that this week, in all it's intended glory. It was my birthday on Monday and OH asked what present I would like as I am of that age that I have mostly everything I want and ain't too fussed with 'having to have' if you know what I mean. My response to is question was 'Chickens!'. I have been hankering for some all summer and haven't got motivated to organising it. Then I suggested 'what if we have a go at making a chicken ark?' So I browsed the Interweb for design inspiration, sourced 3 'new' pallets (4 x 8) and we set about 'making'. We used the pallets to perfection and even recycled the nails. The only extra thing we had to buy was the wire mesh (£23), everything else - screws, woodstain and bits was hanging around in the shed. So here is the finished item


These 4 cheeky things are my very special birthday present. We went to a local poultry auction and came away with these. 1 cockerel and 3 hens which are point of lay, so eggs anytime soon. They all have names Rodney and Milly, Molly, Mandy. I have room for another 4. So watch this space for the new additions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nita, i noted that there is a size gauge or somthing besides your needles. Should the size been marked on the needles? I have my knitting tools from an online store. I was excited to receive my spn with the right size marked on. :-)

FYI: Click this url for a peek at my items.
http://www.8season-knitting.com/1-pair-34cm-bamboo-sp-knitting-needle-us-size-1225mm-p-49.html

What on your needles now?

Nita said...

Hi Marisa, lol, yes my needles DO have the sizes on them, but I picked up the gauges because my old brain of mine has trouble remembering US/UK conversions plus there is a metric converter as well for us oldies with ancient UK needles.
Thanks for dropping by